Monday, June 21, 2010

Foreign Film Review: Faith like Potatoes


Considering that the World Cup is playing right now, I thought it would be fitting if I posted a review of a South African film. And not only is this a foreign film, but it's Christian too!

Ahh, what a great combination. Wish I could see more like these. But anyway, before I sink down into extensive meditative happiness, let's take a look at the story.

* "Frank Rautenbach leads a strong cast as Angus Buchan, a Zambian farmer of Scottish heritage, who leaves his farm in the midst of political unrest and racially charged land reclaims and travels south with his family to start a better life in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. With nothing more than a caravan on a patch of land, and help from his foreman, Simeon Bhengu, the Buchan family struggle to settle in a new country. Faced with ever mounting challenges, hardships and personal turmoil, Angus quickly spirals down into a life consumed by anger, fear and destruction. Based on the inspiring true story by Angus Buchan the book was adapted for the big screen by Regardt van den Bergh and weaves together the moving life journey of a man who, like his potatoes, grows his faith, unseen until the harvest." Written by Frans Cronje


*Synopsis from IMDB. I'm sorry, but I seem to have misplaced my DVD temporarily. 
The real Angus Buchan was alive at the time of the film's release, and is now an inspirational speaker. His faith and his commitment are an inspiration to many, and is a lesson to me in perseverance and passion.


I really connected with this film because I was in Southern Africa when it released, and I watched it with my church. It felt so good to watch a movie with real African people in it, with situations I could understand because I had grown up with them. Well, I hadn't grown up on a farm (worse luck for me), but I could understand the wonderful accents and I had an appreciation of the African culture and history that served as a backdrop for the film. 


Why do I love films like these? Why do I feel a deep love and affection for films like Faith Like Potatoes?


Well, apart from the fact that they are foreign, and therefore serve to remind us that other cultures exist out there, these films also show the power of good, wholesome entertainment. Unlike the great blockbusters which rip money out of our pockets faster than we can save it, films like FLP make the experience worth our while.
And instead of showing glossily beautiful people with more money than brains, these films focus on real people. It's the realness that ropes me in.
And the faith angle don't hurt either . ;) I loved Angus' spiritual journey because I felt that it was akin to my spiritual journey. I too, was very Angry and Bitter, until God's love washed all the hurt and the rage away from me. I still wonder how I could've been that way, I feel like a completely different (and better I assume) person now.
And I apologise if this post seemed to be a little on the ranting side. While I have no problem with blockbuster movies or the people that watch them, I do question the need to have a new one coming out every week. And I have a long-festering problem with Hollywood. I wish that depth and substance would be a more present feature in Hollywood films. But perhaps I am asking for too much?
According to Global Creative Studios, the studios that produced Faith Like Potatoes, the DVD was released in America on April 7, 2009, and can be found in most retail stores like Walmart, Target, and sites like Amazon.com and Christian book distributors.


Here's the trailer for FLP. I highly, highly recommend you watch it. 
*Only caveat. There is language used on occasion, especially before The Conversion. 





You can also find more information here at the film's website : http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/faithlikepotatoes/index.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

I delight in comments! However, I do not delight in profanity or vindictive remarks. Let us encourage each other and enjoy each varying opinion.