Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Faith in the Emotional Desert



It had been a tough week for me spiritually. I had scheduled a number of social gatherings with friends I hadn't seen for ages thanks to those torture devices a.k.a exams. When I did meet those friends, I was saddened by the fact that none of them knew my God of love and life.

I struggled with this despair the whole week long, somehow managing to keep a cheerful smile pasted on my face. I admit that I was disappointed with God for not touching my friends' hearts the way I had prayed for him to do.

I was reading 2 Kings at that time, and I was suddenly struck by the emphasis on faith, especially during the lives of Elijah and Elisha. Normally I try to get as fast through Kings as possible. It's a book that chronicles Israel's dramatic downward spiral in a way that makes me tsk in horror. How could these kings be so vile? Manasseh even burned his own son in sacrifices to idols!

God, however, had a message for me. While I was reading accounts like "The Widow at Zarephath" or " The Widow's Oil" or " The Shunammite's son restored to life," I am struck by the faith these women displayed.

In "The Widow's Oil," the woman could have said, " Why on earth should I ask my neighbors for all the empty jars they've got? Did you not hear me? I said I have nothing in the house, except for a little oil!"

That would've been my reaction. But luckily that woman was definitely not me, because she turned around and followed Elisha's instructions to the t. She had faith in him, and faith in the God he served. And she was not disappointed.

This struck me forcibly. I admit that my faith tank was running dangerously low. I was accusing God of not caring for my friends. But the fact is, He loves them more than I can ever do. And I know that He works everything out for the good of those who love Him. So I just need to keep on believing.

And maybe one day my faith will be bigger than a mustard seed.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I delight in comments! However, I do not delight in profanity or vindictive remarks. Let us encourage each other and enjoy each varying opinion.