Saturday, October 2, 2010

God: My Everything

God in my living
There in my breathing
God in my waking
God in my sleeping
God in my resting
There in my working
God in my thinking
God in my speaking

Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything

God in my hoping
There in my dreaming
God in my watching
God in my waiting
God in my laughing
There in my weeping
God in my hurting
God in my healing

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
You are everything

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
Be my everything





I love this song because it conveys exactly what I want for my life in a far more eloquent and understandable format than I could ever try. I'm starting to realise ( I know I'm slow) that as Christians, our relationship with God is the most important thing. First we must be "rightly related to God," as Oswald Chambers says, then other things like serving and witnessing should come after. In fact, serving and witnessing will be natural results of our walk with God. You cannot have a deeply fulfilling relationship with God and not do these things.


It is when you have a relationship with God that people start to sit up and take notice. Going to church, volunteering in the inner city, all these things might not necessarily attract much attention. Perhaps people will call you "good,", but they will only be attracted to the hand of God they sense working in your life. I attend a state university, and many of my classmates, if not most, are atheistic. This is especially true in the English department, and last semester I had a professor who would declare, " There is no God." This was a class on Communism btw.

You can bleed trying to be good, but if your efforts are done without the hand and help of God, then they are done in vain. Now I've stopped trying to witness to my friends and classmates. Before you gasp in shock, let me proceed quickly. I am concentrating instead on my walk with God. And I've realised that the more time I spend with God, the more I want to talk about Him, the more I see the world through His eyes. Now it's not about the effort so much as something that's becoming natural to me. When he was on earth, Jesus always spent as much time as he could with His father. And therefore it was entirely natural for him to talk of his Father. The joy and peace that is found in the time spent at the Father's feet is unbelievable, beautiful, and impossible to achieve elsewhere. It is this joy and peace that will flow out of you, compelling you to love and witness and serve.

I still have a lot to learn of course, but I've decided to put my relationship with God First and Foremost in my life. And I'm expecting a lot of adventures on the way!

4 comments:

  1. Amen! This is encouraging to me while I attend a state university... Thanks for posting.

    By the way, I love that sunlight picture on the right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you attending a state uni too? Then I will definitely remember you in my prayers. :) Hope you'll be a shining encouragement to all your classmates and professors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! Put God first and everything else will come naturally! And beautiful pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks Shelley! This is how it's supposed to be after all. :)

    ReplyDelete

I delight in comments! However, I do not delight in profanity or vindictive remarks. Let us encourage each other and enjoy each varying opinion.